There are some people who would like to do kayaking in order to explore new places that cannot easily be reached. Yet, there are also some people who just love to do fishing because they feel calm and at ease whenever they spend time alone in the middle of their chosen fishing spot.
There are some people who do not realize that kayaks are created in order to fish. This was used in order to hunt for fish but over the past years, it has been used in order for a lot of other things. People have used their kayaks for recreational purposes. Some rent it out whenever they go to resorts provided that the weather is fine. You can learn more about kayaking when you check out Kayak Love.
Kayak Fishing – Some Things You Should Know
These are some of the tips you ought to remember when you want to do kayak fishing effectively:
- You need to know where you are going to do kayak fishing. The type of kayak you will use will be determined by where you plan to do kayak fishing. If you are only going to fish at small bodies of water, you need to choose small kayaks too. If you need to paddle long distances, you need to have a thin and narrow kayak that will be easier to manoeuvre. Knowing where and how you are going to use the kayak will be very helpful for you.
- You need to have a kayak that contains a rod holder. This is obvious and does not need to be pointed out but if you are entirely new to kayak fishing, this is one feature you should not forget. You have to find a kayak that can hold your rod otherwise you will be holding on to your fishing rod the whole time. It can make the experience a lot less enjoyable.
- You need to find a kayak that you can anchor at some areas where you plan to fish. Even if you are fishing in a place wherein the water is still, you may still move a bit depending on how strong the wind is. You can always catch fish when you are anchored in one area. You can just remove the anchor when you are moving from one place to another.
- You should find a kayak that comes with its own storage space. If you do not plan on eating the fish that you catch and you will just throw it back, you may not need a lot of storage space but if you plan to fish so you can cook and eat something, you need to have a kayak that has enough space for the items you are going to place. There are some kayaks with floating storage containers.
- Make sure that you will dress for kayaking and swimming at the same time. You need to be comfortable while fishing but there is always a possibility that the kayak will go overboard especially if you are wrong. Choose clothes that are lightweight and can dry up completely fast.
Make sure that you will secure all of your items just in case you go overboard.
Fishing from kayak is a lot more fun and more functional than fishing from the shoreline. When you fish from your kayak you can explore a lot more, you get to enjoy beautiful scenery and you can seek out all of the fish hotspots to improve your chances of making a catch. Fishing from kayak is also a bit more of a challenge because you have to balance yourself on your kayak while wheeling in that big catch without tipping over. The only downside to kayak fishing is that the space is quite limited. You need to pack light when going on a fishing expedition so you can be more flexible on your kayak. Here is the top gear you should have on your kayak.
A fish finder is a small device that sends out sound waves into the water. These sound waves are transmitted back to the kayak once they bounce against an object in the water. The GPS fish finder will then show you the shape, size and depth of the object that is underneath the kayak which will enable you to target areas in the water that has plenty of fish. And because it is GPS you will always know where you are headed when you are paddling for long distances. Fish finders are small enough to fit onto even the smallest of kayaks and will greatly improve your chances of landing a good catch each time you venture onto the depths of the water.
A good fishing rod is a must. For ocean fishing you can get a nice and tall rod but for lake or river fishing a shorter rod is a much better choice since swing space is often limited and you can easily get caught in branches.
Your tackle box should be compact but should have enough space to contain all the tackle, hooks and more that you may need for your fishing expeditions. You can visit the Outdoor Tricks site to scout some of the best tackle boxes currently on the market and to see some reviews on all of the available tackle boxes and other fishing gear.
Bait can lure in a lot of fish to your location which greatly improves the chances of getting a good catch. You should have a small box of fresh bait on your kayak.
Fishing nets will help you get large fish out of the water and onto your kayak without breaking your fishing rod or tipping over on your kayak.
There probably isn’t room for fish on your kayak. A fishing basket will allow you to drag your catch along the side of the kayak which will keep your fish fresh so you don’t have to row in every time you get a fish.
You probably need a few memories of your fun expedition. A good waterproof camera will allow you to be as flexible as you need to on the water. You can capture photos of your catch as well as the glorious scenery.